Air conditioners are a crucial part of life in the hot and humid climate of Chattanooga, Tennessee. Unfortunately, they are not designed to last forever. If you experience signs that indicate your air conditioner is nearing its lifespan or is constantly giving you trouble, it is best that you take measures for its replacement by calling for air conditioner installation in Chattanooga, TN, before you face an emergency.
The five signs mentioned here can help you identify the correct time to have your AC replaced by contacting the experts in air conditioner installation in Chattanooga, TN, Metro Plumbing Heating and Air Slots.
1. Your AC Related Expenses Are Going Up
One of the most telling signs that you need someone to come in for air conditioner installation in Chattanooga, TN and replace your old air conditioning system is the constant increase in your electricity bills and/or the cost incurred to repair the air conditioner.
When an air conditioning system becomes inefficient, it starts using up too much energy to produce the same amount of cooling. This obviously shows in your utility bills. Furthermore, there are often cases where the same cooling system is needed to be repaired repeatedly. Having to constantly call your repair person is a hassle, and considering the fact that many AC parts, such as compressor and condenser, are quite expensive, your service bills could really climb.
Sooner or later, you will realize it’s time to throw in the towel. At such points, it is far more cost effective to replace the air conditioner than to continue repairing the same system. If any of the expenses related to your current cooling system are increasing without any substantial increase in your use, then you need to replace it.
A new cooling unit acquired by air conditioner installation in Chattanooga, TN will significantly reduce the running costs of an air conditioner. This includes both the utility costs and the repairs for wear and tear.
2. You’re Hearing Unusual Sounds You Haven’t Heard Before
Did you just hear some loud and weird noises coming out of your air conditioner installation in Chattanooga, TN? We always want our air conditioner to work in silence so we can peacefully sit or sleep in our rooms. But if our cooling units start to make rattling, squealing or other strange noises then it’s likely that is something broken inside the AC.
There could be a number of reasons why your air conditioner is making these noises.
- Malfunctioning compressor: Compressor is the part of your air conditioner which pressurizes the refrigerant and keeps it cool. A continuous buzzing sound from your air conditioner would mean the compressor is damaged or the electrical voltage flowing into the air conditioner is not at the required level causing the compressor to malfunction.
- Missing or damaged isolation feet: After continuous use, the rubber sheet at the bottom of a compressor (which is called isolation feet) gets damaged causing cracks to occur in it. Or this sheet can also completely disintegrate due to the compressor’s pressure, causing the compressor to become unbalanced. This can lead to the air conditioner making a loud, buzzing noise when it’s working.
- Frozen Air Conditioning unit: If the refrigerant in your AC unit leaks, it can cause the entire system to freeze up which in turn causes the AC to make squealing noises.
- Loose parts: Your air conditioning system is made up of several complex parts that work simultaneously to provide you with cool air. If any of its part loosens up of drops out then the AC may let out rattling or banging sounds (especially if there are loose bearings stuck in the unit).
These sounds often reflect some serious issue with the cooling system. Therefore it is wise to seek help from a company that provides air conditioner installation in Chattanooga, TN and have the AC system replaced if the problem can’t be fixed.
3. You’ve had it for more than 10-15 years
When considering whether to repair or replace your air conditioner installation in Chattanooga, TN, the age of your unit matters greatly. Generally, your air conditioner should last at least 10 years easily before it starts asking for expensive repairs.
There is a well known ‘5000 rule’ in the air conditioning industry used to help in making the repair or replace decision. Take the age of your AC unit and multiply it by the repair cost. If the answer comes out to be greater than 5000, then you should consider replacing by having a new air conditioner installation in Chattanooga, TN.
For example, if your air conditioner is 7 years old and its repair cost is estimated to be $800, then multiplying them together gives you $5600. Since this number exceeds our 5000 rule, your AC should probably be replaced.
An average air conditioner lasts about 10 to 15 years. If your AC is older than that, you have earned a good return on your investment. However, with new energy efficient models coming out, it would be more cost efficient to upgrade and have a new air conditioner installation in Chattanooga, TN.
4. You’re Not Getting Cold Air
This one is obvious. If you are not getting cool air from your air conditioner then there is definitely something wrong with your AC unit. However, figuring what is wrong with it is not easy as there could be several reasons behind this issue. From damaged compressor to a blown fuse, there could be a number of reasons causing inefficiency in the cooling system.