Photo By Robin Gentry at istock
Probably, you may have realized that sometimes water floods your basement. Gravity has a bad sense of humor and tends to attract water to the lowest spaces in your home.
The last thing any homeowner wants is a flooded basement. That’s why you need a capable system installed to deal with this kind of problem. A water sump pump is a great way to go about things.
What Is a Sump Pump?
This is a small pump that sits at the lowest part in the basement. The primary purpose of the sump pump is to capture the water that seeps from the foundation drainage on a sump basin and remove it safely through your home’s wastewater drainage.
The flooding of the basement scenario mainly happens during the rainy season or due to plumbing-related issues. With a good sump pump, you can evacuate thousands of gallons of water from your basement during these durations mitigating more detrimental problems caused by home flooding. Therefore, it is imperative to keep this appliance in good condition by contacting professionals who offer good sump pump services in Chattanooga, TN.
What Are the Different Types of Sump Pumps?
They are two types of residential sump pumps that represent a broad category and they include:
- Pedestal Pumps-It is a pump that has a pipe connected to it and the reservoir water in the basement and has a unit divided into two portions. They are easier to maintain, longer-lasting, and cheaper to buy. The downside is that they make a lot of noise in their operation, which makes them impractical for residential homes application.
- Submersible Pumps– Just like the name suggests, they sit in a wet-sump pit. Most companies that offer professional sump pump services will tell you they are messier to maintain and due to their contact with water, they have increased wear and tear. However, they are the best to install in residential basements because they are quieter. Always remember, by frequently hiring these services, you can increase their lifespan.
What Are the Benefits of Installing a Sump Pump in Your House?
As we have mentioned, the build-up of water can cause many damages in your house and in extreme cases can put your life and those of your loved ones in danger. In this regard, we will examine some exclusive benefits that should prompt you to seek the professionals who offer sump pump services to help you to install and maintain this mechanical device in your Chattanooga, TN, home.
With that in mind, here are some of its benefits:
- Helps to Mitigate the Flooding Problem
From what we’ve discussed, this is the primary reason for installing a sump pump. The mechanical device collects build-up water in your basement on a sump basin/pit and removes it safely through your home drains. With a sump pump in your basement, flooding will be the least of your problem and you can sleep better at night even in the rainy season. Remember always to use professional sump pump services to keep this crucial plumbing appliance in good condition so that it can serve you for long.
- Prevents Mold Manifestation
Mold and mildew prefer a damp environment. Apart from damaging your walls and floors, these fungi are health hazards and should be avoided at all costs. The good news is that with a sump pump you can keep your basement dry (One of the mold hotspots), thereby, mitigating the problem of fungi manifestation. Without a reliable source of moisture, mold cannot thrive in your house and you and your loved ones will be safe. If you have a sump pump and still have a mold problem in your basement, seek sump pump services.
- Prevents Electrical Fires
A question that many people ask is how does a system designed solely for pumping water prevent electrical fires? Flooding has been attributed as one of the primary reasons for electrical fires in many houses especially when it comes into contact with electrical outlets, wiring, and appliances. In such scenarios, it causes a short circuit in the electric system, which leads to sparking and eventually fire. Even worse, water conducts electricity and it can lead to electrocution when it comes into contact with humans or pets. This scenario can cause injuries or even death—not the nicest fact to know. Therefore, if your basement is frequently flooding, seek sump pump services to have one of this mechanical equipment installed in your home.
Sump Pump Annual Maintenance Checklist
Hiring a professional company that provides sump pump services to conduct your annual sump maintenance is an easy task to accomplish. For starters, you increase the lifespan of your sump pump and you save yourself the headaches and stress that come with handling emergency breakdowns especially during the rainy season. It is recommended to have at least one maintenance scheduled annually.
Here is a checklist of the basic maintenance tasks that sump pump services cover:
- Pump connection to the power– It is obvious that your pump is connected to an outlet rather than hard wiring. In this case, professionals who offer sump services ensure that ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) has not been interrupted.
- Pump testing– Professional who provide sump pump services tests the mechanical device by pouring water into the sump pit/basin and see if the pump will automatically turn on and remove the water.
- Cleaning the pump– During annual maintenance a professional from the service company should disconnect the pump, clean it, and lubricate the moving parts. It helps to get rid of rust, dust, debris, and other dirt that would interfere with the normal working of the pump.
- Unclogging the pump’s discharge line– Sump pump experts ensure that the discharge line is not blocked by rocks, debris, and other dirt obstructions for the smooth flow of wastewater.
- Checking other parts– Other parts of the pump such as the battery backup system should also be examined.
Get Professional Sump Pump Services
In a nutshell, sump pumps are very important in keeping your basement dry. That’s why Metro Plumbing, Heating, and Air implore all residents of Chattanooga, TN, never to try to use a DIY approach to handle sump pump problems.
For more information, contact us.