Photo By artisteer at istock
Every homeowner’s goal is to save money on their utilities. With our big list of money-saving plumbing tips, expect to pay less on your water bills as soon as you implement these best practices.
If you need a plumbing company in Cleveland, TN for installations or repairs, contact Metro Plumbing, Heating and Air.
- Switch from a conventional water heater to tankless water heaters. The latter may be a little more expensive than a regular heater but you are able to save more energy because it heats water only by demand. With a conventional heater, there is a need to keep heating the water which is a waste of energy. Tankless water heaters also last longer than conventional ones. It saves you more space and you will never run out of hot water. Do make sure that you do proper maintenance of your tankless water heater to avoid calling a plumbing company for costly repairs.
- Take care of your pipes. It’s expensive to work with a plumbing company to get them repaired or replaced. As a homeowner, make sure that you are aware of what you throw down the bathroom and kitchen drain. Avoid throwing food particles, oil and dirt as they can damage your drain eventually. Speak with family members about properly taking care of your drains especially when you have children.
- Insulate your pipes during winter months especially for exposed pipes outdoors. Otherwise, your water may freeze especially when exposed to prolonged below zero temperatures. There is also a possibility that it may burst when the pipes are so old and already damaged. To avoid calling a plumbing company for emergency plumbing, plan on how you should insulate your plumbing system. Get help when you need to.
- If you plan to buy an old home, hire a plumbing company to help you inspect the home’s entire plumbing system. There may be some things that you have overlooked or missed and only a licensed plumber can help you find out whether there are areas that need repair or replacements. A thorough inspection involves checking the pipes whether they are still in good condition, checking for leaks and other plumbing problems that may become emergencies in the future.
- Invest in getting regular maintenance for your plumbing. While it’s good that you also do your part by making sure you do the best plumbing practices only, it’s always better when a professional ensures that everything is in good condition. Do make sure that you work only with a licensed plumber at a plumbing company for proper maintenance.
- As much as possible, do not attempt a DIY with your plumbing especially when dealing with difficult installations. You can save more when you hire a plumbing company to assist you. With a DIY, you’re not assured that things will not go wrong. When you encounter a problem, it may be difficult to undo them. You may end up having to replace your entire plumbing and that would cost you a fortune.
- Having proper food management in your homes lets you avoid throwing food down the drain. Another option is to install a garbage disposal. When using the disposal, always follow manufacturer recommendations. Make sure that you break down large food particles first to avoid overwhelming the disposal. Otherwise, the motor may shut down and it will require an expensive replacement.
- Work only with licensed plumbers at a plumbing company to ensure proper installation of your fixtures or appliances. You may think that going with a handyman is more affordable — the truth is it may cost you more down the road especially when the plumbing isn’t properly installed. A licensed plumber almost always gives guarantees. When there are things that need to be repaired in the future, you most likely will not be paying more especially when the mistake is on their part.
- Avoid chemical drain cleaners when resolving clogs. You will only do damage to your older pipes. The best way to avoid a clog is to not throw grease or food particles in the drain. Either use a natural drain cleaning for resolving clogs or call a plumbing company so they can assist you better. A licensed plumber is equipped with all the tools he needs to effectively deal with clogs.
- If you have a conventional water heater at home, make sure that you insulate them to save money over time. With the insulation, you will be using minimal energy for heating the water. A simple water heater blanket that you can buy at a local store would do. If you do not know how to insulate your water heater, contact a licensed plumber in your area for assistance.
- Always address any water pressure problems. Neglecting them could give you even more problems in the future. Call a plumbing company in Cleveland, TN so they can check whether you have good water pressure and they can resolve whatever problems you are having. It’s better to always remedy minor plumbing problems before they can before major plumbing emergencies that will cost you a fortune.
- Contact a plumbing company immediately when you notice nasty smells in your drains. A bad smell almost always means that there is something wrong with your plumbing. Do not wait until you see cockroaches and other insects in your home; bad smells attract them. A licensed plumber should be able to diagnose the drain problem and effectively resolve it.
- Consider installing strainers in your kitchen, bathroom and laundry. This is a simple yet money-saving tip that ensures hairs and other debris do not clog your system. You can buy affordable strainers at a local supermarket. Call a plumber if you do not know how to install them.
For your laundry, you can save more money when you buy energy-saving washers and when you have steel hoses instead of having plastic ones. The former will likely become damaged easily compared to steel hoses.
- Toilet clogs can be really inconvenient and extremely stressful especially when you have an appointment and yet you can’t leave home as there is something wrong with the toilet. You can avoid toilet problems when you do not flush sanitary pads or paper towels. There is also a way to check for toilet leaks. All you need to do is buy food coloring and pour a few drops of it into the toilet tank. Make sure that the water source is completely turned off when you do this. Wait for about three minutes and check your toilet. When there are colors in it, that means that there is a leak and it’s time to call a plumbing company in Cleveland, TN so they can resolve it.
- As a homeowner, it’s your responsibility to periodically check your homes for issues that may become serious problems in the future. You can do this by looking for indications of plumbing leaks. If you see something suspicious, call a plumber right away. There are also leaks that are only visible to a plumber’s eyes so make sure that you have regular maintenance so someone else is checking your home for you.
- How old is your water heater? If it’s more than 15 years old, you can save money when you get a replacement. A very old heater could give you a lot of problems that will cost you more money in repairs. Getting a new one is more cost-effective. Always make sure that you work with a plumbing company in Cleveland, TN for the insulation of your new water heater to ensure proper insulation.
- Consider using low-flow showerheads for your bathroom if you want to reduce your water consumption. Work with a licensed plumber only during installation.
- To avoid flooding and risking your home’s structure, consider installing a sump pump. A sump pump ensures that your basement is always dry. It also prevents mold and mildew that can contribute to serious health problems. It also helps when you are planning to sell your home in the future as it increases your home’s value. When the sump pump isn’t working, it can also alert you when the water level is too high. Working with a licensed plumber in Cleveland, TN ensures proper insulation of your pump and avoids motor problems in the future.
- Repair clogs and leaks right away to avoid costly plumbing emergencies. Keep in mind that plumbing emergencies do not happen overnight. They are a result of neglect from the homeowner. When there are damp patches on the wall, call a plumbing company in Cleveland, TN right away so they can check for leaks and then resolve them.
- Replace old faucets and other plumbing fixtures that have outlived their lifespan. They are likely to give you more problems in the future. Call a plumber so they can do a proper inspection of your home and suggest which ones you need to replace or repair.
- Your septic system also needs maintenance. Their switches, pumps and other mechanical components must be inspected by a professional plumber regularly or once a year. This should be covered when you have routine maintenance scheduled for your home. For the septic system, it should be inspected every 3 or 5 years only by a licensed septic professional or a licensed plumber.
- You can save money when you take the time to inspect the water meter in your homes. The meter runs from the water mainline outside to a metered box just outside your home. The meter controls the water flow. If the meter is running and water isn’t flowing through, you might have a leak somewhere. Call a plumber right away for inspection.
- Hire a reliable plumbing company like Metro Plumbing, Heating and Air for all your plumbing installations and repairs. Licensed plumbers can get the job done on time and right away. They are also equipped with all the tools needed to get the job done faster and efficiently. Most importantly, they have insurance and they always give you a guarantee.
- Know the proper maintenance of your water heater to avoid mineral buildup in the pipes. Once a year, you should flush all the sediments in your water heater. To do this, you will need to shut off the main valve. Hook a garden hose to your boiler drain and then turn it on. For about two minutes, run the drain at full pressure. It’s important that you run it on full pressure so the sediments do not log up your drain. It will take about 20 minutes for your water heater to drain completely. Work with a licensed plumber at a reputable plumbing company in your area if you do not know how to do this.
- Have your sewer lines inspected regularly to ensure that there are no obstructions or clogs in your systems. Early detection and resolution of a problem can prevent major plumbing emergencies that are extremely costly. You’ll know that there are problems in the sewer lines when you notice a rotten smell coming from the sewage or when you hear gurgling sounds in the drains. Other signs include having a really lush lawn and slower drains. When you notice these problems, contact a plumbing company in Cleveland, TN immediately so they can help you remedy them.
Contact Metro Plumbing, Heating and Air in Cleveland, TN
Do you need a licensed plumber in your area? Metro Plumbing, Heating and Air is a reliable plumbing company that can get the job done in a timely manner. All their plumbers have extensive experience in the plumbing industry. They are also extremely knowledgeable about anything plumbing-related. With our professional staff always ready to assist, we ensure a top-notch service all the time. Get in touch with us today for an appointment.