Photo By Neustockimages at istock
Homeowners should make it a habit to periodically check for their plumbing system especially if they live with little children. Below are loads of tips on plumbing safety for your home.
For any plumbing issues, get in touch with a plumbing company in Cleveland, TN for assistance.
- Should you decide to work on a plumbing project on your own, do make sure that you check plumbing codes. Better yet, work with a professional only. Contact a plumbing company in Cleveland, TN for assistance. While DIY is okay, it’s never really advisable for homeowners, especially when doing a major plumbing project. For safety purposes and to ensure good workmanship, it’s always best to get a licensed plumber to help you.
- For minor plumbing repairs that you plan to do, make it a point to wear protective clothing. Wear safety glasses as working under the sink could pose safety hazards for your eyes. In addition, be careful when you are exposed to contaminants in the sewage as that may also get splashed in your eyes. Wear gloves if your hands will be in contact with harmful chemicals.
- If there is a storm coming, make sure that you test your sump pump to ensure it works. Pour a bucket of water and see what happens. Your pump should turn on and get rid of the water just within seconds. When that’s not happening, call a licensed plumber in Cleveland, TN right away to resolve the issue.
- Constantly check your sump pump for any signs of wear and tear. When some of the parts are not working or damaged, call a plumber in Cleveland, TN to get either a plumbing repair or replacement.
- To prevent water damage and to keep your home safe all the time, consider investing in a backup battery in the event that your sump pump fails. There might be power outages during severe storms. A backup battery will be of much help to you.
- For your water heater, drain it at least once a year to get rid of sediment buildup that may affect your heater’s efficiency. It also prevents corrosion in the pipes. Never place any flammable chemicals or liquids near your water heater or your gas appliance.
- Regularly clean your sinks and drains. Make sure they are free of food particles and other debris. Use a toothbrush for scrubbing away dirt or substances. For your drains, pour a bucket of hot water to get rid of excess oil in your pipes. When not thoroughly cleaned, they may cause a blockage. Contact a plumber asap if you think there is a block in your pipes.
- For safety purposes, do not attempt to do any plumbing repair if you lack safety gear or equipment needed to complete the job. Call a professional in Cleveland, TN for assistance.
- Flush only human waste and a certain type of tissue paper in your toilet to prevent clogs. If you have children at home, educate them on the proper use of the toilet. From time to time, do preventative maintenance by checking for leaks. Use food coloring and put a few drops in your tank. When the toilet water chances, you have a leak. Hire a plumber in Cleveland, TN right away to prevent plumbing emergencies in your bathroom.
- Never overload your garbage disposal and do not dump large particles of food as well. Break down food scraps before throwing them in the garbage disposal. Also, regularly clean them to avoid nasty smells in your kitchen.
- Do not ignore even minor leaks in the pipes or in the faucet. Remember that water poses a risk to your home’s structure too. Prolonged exposure to mold and mildew can also cause serious health issues. If you do not know how to resolve a leak, call a plumbing company for assistance. Licensed plumbers should be able to not just resolve leaks but also remedy plumbing problems you may have noticed.
- To prevent flooding, know where your main shut off valve is located. Inform family members as well.
- To get healthy pipes, never use chemical-based drain cleaners especially when you have older pipes. Contact a plumbing company to assist you with clogs instead. Also, consider fully changing your pipes if you are still using galvanized pipes.
- Never ignore even minor plumbing problems as that could lead to costly plumbing emergencies and replacements. When there is a leak, get help from a plumbing professional. Consider also investing in high-quality fixtures to minimize leaks and clogs.
- When you do not secure pipes during freezing temperatures, they may burst. That could lead to a massive problem in your home. Always inspect for cracks and insulate pipes during the winter to prevent this catastrophe.
- Call a licensed plumber for help if your water pressure is either too low or too high. Both can cause problems. High pressure not only gives you higher utility bills but they may also damage your faucets. A licensed plumber should be able to assist you in installing a pressure regulator to get a safe level of water pressure in your home.
- Hire a licensed plumber to help you regularly check your sewer system and your septic tank. Leaks must be replaced right away.
- If you want safer water in your home, consider installing a water softener. Contact a plumbing company to help you with the installation.
Safety Cooking with Gas
If you want to save more money in the kitchen, cooking with gas is one of the options. It’s simply economical. Use the tips below to help you safely cook with gas.
- When you smell gas before cooking, never attempt to light the burner. If there is a leak, this could lead to an explosion. Should you smell gas, open your windows and call a plumbing company right away for assistance.
- While cooking, do not leave the stove unattended even for a minute. Stay in the kitchen until you have fully cooked your dishes.
- Always close the burner after cooking. If you have kids at home, ensure that they do not have access to the gas stove. Make it a habit to clean your burners and make sure no food is stuck in it.
- Read the manufacturer’s guidelines for the safe use of your stove. If you experience other issues, contact a plumbing company to better assist you with your concern.
- Schedule a regular inspection with your gas stove to make sure that it’s in good working condition. Periodically check your stove as well for signs of damage. Make sure everything is secure. Always replace corroded gas hobs to prevent fires.
- Consider investing a gas detector in your kitchen for extra safety. Contact a plumbing company in Cleveland, TN if you want to find out more information about this.
Plumbing Safety During Winter
- If you have outdoor valves and faucets, secure them with towels and foam. It will stay like that for the entire season. Otherwise, they may freeze. Insulate all the pipes in the outer walls too so they do not freeze. You may not get any water when one of your pipes freezes.
- Be careful what you throw down the drains. When you throw oil and grease during winter, chances are they may freeze and that will affect your water flow.
Laundry Room Safety
- Being an uninformed consumer poses danger in your laundry room. Read the manual, cleaning product labels and the care tags so you know how to use them. Pay attention to how you mix certain chemicals and know when your fabric should be dried or washed. If you are having trouble with any plumbing, always contact a plumbing company for assistance.
- Maintain your laundry’s room planning to prevent danger and to prolong its lifespan. You may get in touch with a plumbing company for routine maintenance, not just for your laundry room but for your entire home.
- Never ignore or neglect warning signs in your washer. Get help immediately to reduce the risk of flooding in your laundry room.
- If you have kids, make sure that your dryer and your washer are locked. This is to prevent kids from going inside your machine and possibly getting stuck. Mark all detergent containers and never store them in a drink or food bottle. Also, do not leave your pre-treated clothes unattended when you have kids.
- To prevent lint buildup, clean the screens after every load. Inspect the vent pipes periodically and contact a plumbing company to resolve any problems with your venting system.
- For your hoses, contact a plumbing company to get it replaced for rubber hoses as they are safer. These hoses are not likely to burst or crack that may lead to flooding in your laundry room. Also, these types of hoses last longer. Your laundry room is safer and you get to also save money in the long run.
- Twice a year, inspect your washer’s supply lines to prevent leaks and flooding. Better yet, contact a plumbing company and schedule regular maintenance to ensure a thorough inspection of your entire plumbing system.
- To avoid more plumbing issues, make sure that you organize your laundry room properly. Position your washer slightly away from the wall to keep your supply lines from getting blocked. Make sure that the appliances are not positioned very close to each other. Do not forget to upgrade metal hoses to rubber to reduce the chances of leaks.
- Inspect your sinks and laundry drains to prevent major flooding in your laundry room. As much as possible, contact a plumbing company so they can help you install a drain filter. Check for cracks, drain pipe issues, strange noises as that could indicate another problem. Call a plumbing company immediately to help you effectively deal with an issue.
Baby-Proofing Kitchen and Bathroom Plumbing
Your bathroom and kitchen can be dangerous for your toddlers and babies. As a parent, it’s your responsibility to contact a plumbing company if you need assistance with baby-proofing these places. Below are a few things you can do to keep your little ones safe in your own home.
- Hot water and standing water can be a hazard and you should never leave your toddlers alone around standing water. Keep your bathroom door locked whenever you’re not using it or when there are repairs being done. Also, do not just rely on baby seats in the tub. Supervise your kid at all times; never consider leaving them in the tub even for just a minute.
- To avoid the risk of scalds, set your hot water heater below 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, you can contact a plumbing company so they can help you install rubber guards in your faucets to prevent burns.
- To prevent slips, always take care of any standing water in either your kitchen or bathroom. If you are having problems with your pipes that caused the standing water, contact a plumbing company immediately so they can help you resolve the issue.
Call Licensed Plumbers at Metro Plumbing, Heating and Air
Do you need plumbing repair or installation in Cleveland, TN? Our plumbing company can definitely help! We have been helping homeowners resolve their plumbing issues for years. Call us if you need immediate help! We are always ready to assist. Our courteous and professional staff are more than happy to remedy even just a minor problem, right away. It’s our commitment to provide exceptional service to all residents of Cleveland, TN.
Contact us at Metro Plumbing, Heating & Air today for an appointment.