Photo By cmannphoto at istock
Water heaters have become a basic appliance in any household. They are used every day and are rarely turned off. Water heaters are normally very reliable, so
They can come as a shock when you turn the shower on and find that the water is cold. Your unit probably needs a water heater repair, but where can you find someone in Chattanooga, TN to repair it?
Most people in Chattanooga will call the water heater repair experts at Metro Plumbing, Heating, and Air. Our highly trained team has many years of experience dealing with water heater repair, installation, and maintenance. No repair is beyond us, and unlike many of our rivals, we offer an emergency service 24 hours a day, every day.
The Different Kinds of Water Heaters
- Storage or Tank Water Heater – Also known as conventional heaters, these are the most common kind of water heater and comprise a single, large, insulated tank holding between 20 to 80 gallons. The tank is always kept heated so that there is a large amount of hot water available all the time.
- Tankless Water Heater – These are smaller and more compact as they do not need a large external tank. They are more energy-efficient as they produce hot water only on demand.
- Hybrid Tankless Water Heater – One of the disadvantages of the tankless water heater is that there is not an instant supply of hot water. This type contains a small tank with hot water and is ideal if you use hot water in small amounts.
- Heat Pump Hybrid Water Heaters – uses a compressor to take the heat from the surrounding air and then uses it to heat the water storage tank.
- Condensing Water Heaters – These are powered by gas and are like the tank water heater except they recycle the heat from the exhaust gases to heat the water, making them more energy-efficient as a result.
- Solar Water Heaters – these are roof-mounted cells that will absorb the heat from the sun, which is used to heat the water.
Each of these units offers advantages and disadvantages. A tank heater is usually cheaper to buy and install but costs more to run as the tank is constantly heated.
A tankless heater is more expensive initially and will need air vents if you use gas. But they are cheaper to run and will save you money in the long term. A solar heater offers great energy savings during long bright summer days but is not so efficient when it is cloudy.
Save Money with Regular Maintenance
Whatever type of water heater you have, Metro Plumbing advises that you have your water heater regularly serviced. This will guarantee that it is working safely and running as economically as possible, saving you from large energy bills.
If you have a warranty on your heater, it may be invalid without regular servicing. A regular service will also give you peace of mind, by reducing the risk of an expensive water heater repair and extending its useful working life. As the average cost of water heater repairs can be significant.
Common Problems with Water Heaters
Water heaters tend to be highly reliable, but occasionally they do break down. If you need a water heater repair, then call Metro Plumbing for a speedy repair. There are several problems that all water heaters experience:
- Overburdening Your Water Heater – Getting cold water in your shower is never a good sign but it may not mean that it needs a water heater repair. If you have too many water appliances on at the same time, you could be overloading your water heater and it may shut down. If this occurs too often the heater could break down and need an expensive water heater repair.
- Mineral Buildup – In hard water areas there is a high mineral content in the water. Minerals will deposit on the working parts in your heater and gum up the works. If you do live in a hard water area, we advise that you have your system regularly descaled. Not doing so will increase the likelihood of a water heater repair or even a full replacement of the unit.
- Your Air Vents are Blocked – If you use gas to power your unit it needs a constant supply of fresh air to allow combustion to occur. It will also need a vent to allow dangerous combustion gases like carbon monoxide to escape. They need regular cleaning to prevent blocking and to make the unit more efficient.
- Gas Flame Failure – this can be due to a faulty gas valve or a gas supply interruption to the home.
- Electrical Problems – If you use electricity to power your unit a simple blown fuse will stop the heater. This could be solved by simply resetting the circuit breaker. If you heard odd hissing noises coming from the unit, it may be due to scale forming on the heating element.
If your water heater is over 10 years old and is breaking down more frequently it may be time to have it replaced. Your home probably has more water appliances in it than when the water heater was initially installed, and it may need upgrading to a more powerful unit to cope with the extra demand.
There is a bewildering choice of water heater on the market. It is enough to confuse anyone. You need to be sure that whatever your choice you do not buy an underpowered heater. Let Metro Plumbing help you to decide what is the right-sized unit for you and your budget.
Why Choose Metro Plumbing, Heating, and Air of Chattanooga, TN?
Metro Plumbing, Heating, and Air is a family-owned business and takes great pride in providing services to the community around Chattanooga, TN.
We appreciate the stress caused by any water heater breaking down and we will try to send a plumber around to you quickly, no matter what the time of day or night. Whatever your plumbing problem one of our highly trained plumbers will be able to help you get back up and running.