When the pressure inside a frozen pipe increases, it has the tendency to blow open metal pipes or split plastic. Not to mention, when even 1/10 inch of a frozen pipe splits, it can let out almost 250 gallons of usable water. This water not only flows out but gush into the home or your building.
Every winter, almost quarter of a million resident face frozen pipes issue. This problem starts with a freezing pipe and results in the heavy repair cost by hiring a plumbing service in Cleveland, GA. However, if you take a few steps, you can easily prevent this problem of frozen pipes.
If you face this problem in your business building this may cost you thousands of dollars. The bursting of a frozen pipe may damage the structure of your building and cause serious electrical damage. This can also put many lives at stake as it increases the likelihood of a short circuit.
Therefore to save you from facing any such issue, in this article, we will discuss some major facts associated with the problem of frozen pipes.
The Facts about Frozen Pipes
The only way to ensure winterization of the plumbing pipes is when you know the major facts associated with frozen pipes. This information will save you a good amount of money by preventing the need for hiring a plumber in Chattanooga, TN.
- The major season you are likely to face frozen pipe issues lies between December and January
- In majority of cases, the pipes freeze at the temperature of around 20 degrees
- The three main reasons behind frozen pipes include setting your thermostat at low temperature, poor insulation and a frequent drop in temperature. All of this calls for the assistance of a professional plumber in Chattanooga, TN
- The normal cost of repairing a frozen or burst pipe is from $3000 – $100,000. This depends on the structure or type of the building, the damaged material, and the level of caused damage.
- The major cost associated with a burst pipe is of water damage.
- Even a small crack or split of pipe may spew up around 250 gallons of water every day.
Top signs of a frozen pipe
According to plumbers in Chattanooga, TN, a frozen pipe issue is a problem that can be apparent instantly. The signs are obvious and shown easily. That is why to detect the frozen pipe issue, the two biggest indications include:
- When you turn on the faucet, you get no water out of it. In this scenario, you must thaw the area by applying some technique. But regardless of how you choose to deal with the issue, don’t attempt to warm up the pipe by means of a blowtorch. There have been many reported cases, where houses catch fire as homeowners try to resolve the issue in this way.
- When you hear a running water sound, even though the valves are properly turned off. Now, this simply points at a water leak issue somewhere around. To catch the leak and to get away with problems, turn off your water main valve and call the professional assistance of a plumbing service in Chattanooga, TN.
How to prevent frozen pipes and avoid the cost of hiring plumbers in Chattanooga, TN
If you are all prepared to winterize your plumbing pipes or to prevent the freezing pipes during this winter season, do check the plumbing conditions of the structure. Whether it’s your house or your office building, identify the plumbing pipes which are most prone to freezing. Also look out for the ones, which are installed on the walls and windows and will be affected by the cold weather directly.
Similarly, check the pipes which are installed near unheated spaces and un-insulated pipes. After that, check for the possible cracks in ceilings, walls and on the floor. If you do find a hole during this inspection process, make sure to get it filled, to prevent the cold air from entering the house, through the gaps.
According to the professional plumbers Chattanooga, TN, every person must follow the following tips to prevent frozen pipes.
- Ensure that all the identified cracks are filled – both internally and externally. If you fail to pot the gaps properly, the cold air entering the house will cause the plumbing pipes to freeze, causing you to incur the repair cost by hiring plumbers in Chattanooga, TN. So caulk the gaps or use spray foam to completely fill the gaps.
- When you use a furnace or any other heating source inside e a building this helps in protecting pipes from getting a freeze in the cold.
- A dripping faucet usually needs a quick fix, but during the cold season, this dripping may prevent frozen pipes. This freezing will help in the free and continuous flow of water – as the plumbers in Chattanooga, TN
- Make sure that crawl spaces are insulated properly. Also, make sure the vents are blocked. This is particularly true for the vents which lead to the outside. You may block them easily by using a wood or cardboard.
- The worst situation is the bursting of the hose bib during midnight. This happens when hose bibs are not properly drained or remain insulated with covers. Hence it’s imperative to deactivate the bibs by using a shutoff valve
- As per the plumbers in Chattanooga, TN, you can prevent freezing pipes by using a heat tape. This is the most effective way to winterize your plumbing pipes. But you must properly execute this method or otherwise, this may cause some serious hazards such as fire.
The bottom line is, follow the above-discussed tips and winterize your pipes this winter season. The only way to avoid the problem is the early preparation. However, if the damage has already been done then head over to Metro Plumbing Heating and Air right away!
They have a qualified team of professionals, who hold great experience in handling the most complex plumbing issues.